Facebook has been in the headlines a lot recently. Most of the time it was for election scandals and spreading fake news. These headlines obviously caught a lot of peoples’ attention, and Facebook finally decided to do something about it.
Mark Zuckerberg, the CEO of Facebook posted a long blog post called “Preparing for Elections” where he shared publicly how they will be fighting against fake news, fake accounts, and other fake information.
It’s a 3000+ word article, so if you don’t have time to read it, let me break it down for you in a few bullet points.
- They will prevent publishers of hoaxes from selling ads against their content.
- They will remove all posts that use hoaxes/fake news to encourage violence.
- They will finally get rid of the fake accounts.
- Advertisers will now be required to verify their identities before being able to advertise on their platform
- They will be working closely with governments to identify and deal with influence campaigns.
This is a shortened version of his 3000+ word post on Facebook.
They also said that they will be fact-checking pictures & videos posted on their platform. To do that, they will be using robot & human reviewers to fight against misinformation and propaganda. They also mentioned that they will be following every user-flagged post closely to be able to detect the false information.
I am really eager to see how this will work out, and I want to know what they have exactly planned to do to fight the fake news & other fake and misleading information.
I personally am a Facebook user, and I’ve seen that the number of misleading posts & fake accounts has decreased compared to the previous year(s). This is a good sign that what Facebook is planning to do might actually work, and that might bring Facebook back to life.